HKUST’s pioneering Interdisciplinary Programs Office (IPO) exemplifies the University’s well-established tradition for innovative teaching, learning, and research. Since IPO's establishment in 2008, our dynamic academic units have provided unique education and research programs for students who are keen to make full use of the holistic learning and self-development opportunities that IPO provides.
To tackle the challenging and multi-faceted issues of today’s world—be it climate change, optimizing the big data revolution, or effective management of technology—it is necessary to fuse knowledge and know-how from different fields to bring multiple perspectives to the task of changing the world for the better.
We strive to tailor our programs to the newly emerging needs of society and of the students we educate. We co-operate closely with corporate partners to offer students projects and professional training with instructors and mentors from industry. Our goal is to provide a nurturing learning environment in which undergraduates and postgraduates can discover their true passion and interests through an education that connects them to the wider world.
We currently offer three cutting-edge interdisciplinary undergraduate programs:
- Dual Degree Program in Technology & Management (T&M-DDP)
- Environmental Management and Technology Program (EVMT)
- Individualized Interdisciplinary Major Program (IIM).
These programs bring together two or more different academic disciplines and offer a brand-new type of educational experience, characterized by
1) Multicultural cohorts with small class sizes of 2–40 students per cohort per program, which allows close and supportive relationships to develop between students, professors and staff
2) Ambitious curricula across different schools
3) Wide-ranging personal and professional enrichment activities and an exclusive team of professional advisors who provide counseling and career advice to students.
At IPO, we learn, we experience, and we lead without boundaries.