The International Research Enrichment (IRE) Program is designed for students interested in pursuing a research career in science, or broadening their exposure to research during their undergraduate studies. The program emphasizes curiosity and grit, which are the essential attributes to a successful career in scientific research.
The IRE program has similar curriculum structure as the Science (Group A) and Science (Group B) programs. But it distinguishes itself from the regular science program by providing students the following:
- Free choice of major programs among Biochemistry and Cell Biology, Biotechnology, Chemistry, Mathematics, Ocean Science and Technology, and Physics
- Participation in advanced research projects under the supervision of world-class professors
- Opportunities to participate in the events of Institute for Advanced Studies (IAS), and meet with Nobel Laureates and renowned scientists
- Individualized Research Guidance and Mentoring from experienced faculty members
- Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program (UROP)
- Exchange and internship opportunities in renowned foreign universities / research institutes
- Summer research internship opportunity in foreign universities and institutions
- Scholarship support for overseas learning trips
Applicants can apply for the IRE program through the direct choice in HKUST, or apply for transfer from the regular Science (Group A) or Science (Group B) program of the School of Science to IRE program after their first year of study. Applicants interested in IRE program are encouraged to include either Science (Group A) or (Group B) program, and the IRE program, in their program choices of the application. Applicants must pass the admissions interview.