The Ocean Science and Technology (OST) is an integrative program that provides students with a comprehensive foundational understanding of the cross-disciplinary ocean science and technology and also exposure to the latest scientific and technological development related to investigating, conserving and managing ocean resources.
This program covers a variety of courses in different aspects of ocean science, which include:
- Foundation: biological, chemical and physical processes, ecosystem functions;
- Technology: instrumentation, data management, pollution tracking;
- Applications: marine biotechnology, pollution bioremediation;
- Socio-economy: conservation and management of marine resources, fisheries.
A major emphasis of the curriculum is the provision of practicum experience, experiential learning and field trips to enhance students’ academic, career and personal development.
Extended Major options
The OST students can opt for an Extended Major in Artificial Intelligence (AI) or Digital Media and Creative Arts (DMCA). Extended Major is not a standalone major, but is adhered to a certain majors as expanded choices, enabling students to keep abreast of emerging technology and innovation that are shaping our society in a multi-faceted way.
On top of expertise in ocean science and technology, OST students with an Extended Major in AI will acquire the latest knowledge in this emerging technology and learn to apply the knowledge to solve real-world problems such as the predicting the occurrence of harmful algal bloom and predicting climate change. The Extended Major in Digital Media and Creative Arts is for students who are interested in a career pathway that emphasizes the creation of multimedia contents for promotion and public education in environmental conservation and environmental protection. Upon the fulfilment of the curriculum requirement, the students will be awarded one of the following degrees:
- BSc in Ocean Science and Technology with an Extended Major in Artificial Intelligence
- BSc in Ocean Science and Technology with an Extended Major in Digital Media and Creative Arts
#50 in Environmental Sciences (No. 2 in Hong Kong)
(QS World University Rankings by Subject 2023)